Sunday, August 11, 2013

Columbia Carbon 32

So I have been trolling around the net today reading Practical Sailor articles (very very informative, BTW) and in general just trying to find more info on the projects I have coming up.  I came across the newest incarnation of Columbia Yachts and their boat the Carbon 32.  It is a full carbon-fiber race boat with only the absolute essentials for multi-day races.  I thought that my boat had a Spartan interior, but after a look at this racer, I have come to the conclusion that my boat is like a house in the Hamptons.  It may not be fast, but it certainly has all the amenities.

Having raced myself, I know what it means to have a no compromises sailboat at your command.  It is fast, exciting, and sometimes a little scary, but you don't care because you're too busy trimming, watching the wind, watching your competitors, giving orders to your crew, not to mention being focused on winning.  Do I think that the Carbon 32 would be a blast to sail?  Absolutely!!!  Would I want to live with it on a daily basis or sail it for pleasure?  Doubtful.  The reason is this: weight.  This boat is 6 feet longer than my C-26 so it would be logical to think that it weighs more.  WRONG!  The Carbon 32 weighs in at 4000 pounds. That is almost 1500 pounds lighter than the C-26.  Yes, weight is detrimental to speed, but weight makes for a more kindly sea-motion when beating to windward.  The C-26 can run a full main sail and a 150 genoa in 25 knots of breeze and be relatively upright to windward.  That means it can carry full sail during a small craft advisory warning.  I very much doubt that the Carbon 32 could even approach that kind of sail carrying capacity.  It certainly would not be even remotely comfortable doing so if it could.  

The other issue with super light weight racers, as I found out from a boat delivery captain, is that they are like a cork floating on the ocean.  They bob and pitch on every imperfection on the ocean's surface because they don't have the mass to punch through.  In some cases, this makes them slower than a traditional boat because the traditional boat doesn't waste energy bobbing and pitching, but rather just transferring power from the sails into forward motion.

I have no issue with the Carbon 32.  I would love to get the chance to sail/race one.  I also think that my life has changed to where I am not really as interested in the no-holds-barred racers, but rather a sensible, well found boat.  Also, racers do not really make for good live-aboards.  

The Carbon 32 photos came from columbiayachts.com and were used without permission.  

1 comment: