Sunday, August 11, 2013

Aerocap Project

Since I started a new job recently, I have a 100 mile commute every day.  Eventually I might move closer, but currently, I would rather take the hit to commute so I can stay in Portland.  People have told me the cap looks really funny, or even dumb, but I really don't care, because I am getting 26+ MPG on the highway.  In case you forgot, it is a PICKUP TRUCK that is getting 26+ MPG.  Here is the rub: my Tacoma is supposed to get 26 MPG on the highway, but I was only averaging 24.95 MPG on the highway.  Since I put the cap on, my highway MPG average is now 26.27.  My driving has not really changed, but the MPG has improved.  While I am sure more technical ecomodders could get more out of the cap, but with just a little research into other people's projects and a cheap build, I've made a 5% improvement in my MPG without changing my speed on the highway.  That will save me about a gallon per week, which does not seem like much, but when you extrapolate that out, it is 52 gallons a year, or approximately $200 a year in savings.  It is amazing what just a little bit of modification can do for your fuel mileage.  If you're interested in learning more about ecomodding and driving for fuel efficiency, check out http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php.  This forum has been really helpful to me in trying to figure out what I was going to build, and has given me ideas for more modifications to improve my MPG.




No comments:

Post a Comment