Wednesday, November 7, 2012

You're rich?

I would like to put to rest a few misconceptions that I have come across as I tell people that I am working on the boat I picked up and am blogging the experience.

1)  I am NOT rich, unless you mean I am rich in the fact that I am living my dream.  I didn't think that's what you meant.  ;)  I bought the boat for $800.  No, that's not an exaggeration!!!  It was so priced because it needs about $2000 worth of work and retrofitting for living aboard for the summer months, with more required for the winter months.  I came to the $2000 number by estimating parts and material needed, not in labor costs.  I will be doing just about everything myself to save myself the labor costs.  I will also be living as lean as possible in the rest of my life to accomplish these goals.  It helps that most of my time is spent working or working on the boat. 

2) This is going to be a VERY intensive build.  I work 2 jobs (about 60 hours a week, over 6 days), so I really only have a day and a half a week to work on the boat.  That means in reality, I have about 30 days to prep the boat to go into the water in April, and it is now winter.  That means I cannot paint, fiberglass, or even clean what is left to clean (aka- most of the rest of the boat).  Ice in the boat is a serious concern because it can break the fiberglass hull, which will further delay, or maybe terminate, my live aboard schedule/dream. 

3) Yes, I plan to live on the boat in the winter.  Yes, I will be heating it, but with electric only, as I do not want CO2 or CO issues that come with heating with kerosene or any fossil fuel.

4) No, the boat will not have a shower.  It won't even have a flush toilet.  The boat does not have the space to facilitate those desires.  I will have a composting toilet, and I will be showering in the Marina bathroom (or maybe at work, as there is a shower there).  In the summer, I may run a solar shower (like you would use for camping) but that is yet to be determined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment