Friday, November 16, 2012

Please Pardon My Perspective


I have been thinking about lack of useable flat surfaces inside the boat.  Many boats have fold out tables to facilitate having a table, but not taking up space.  I think the C-26 was pre-fold out table in the world of boats, or at least a design feature that was not utilized.  The boat also lacks a chart table for navigation, mostly due to size restrictions in the cabin.  I think I may have come up with a halfways genius idea for the counter space/chart table issue (even if I do say so myself)! 


Okay, so here is the explanation to go with the picture.  The black sharpie is the current design of the port galley cabinet and port bunk.  The red sharpie is the proposed new/rebuilt bunk.  It will be raised 6-8 inches above where the bunk currently is to facilitate a better sitting position when the table is not in the stowed position (stowed in the bottom right of the picture).  I will be adding a second vertical support, as I will be sitting there, and I am not exactly the smallest of people.  Plus it adds strength to the bunk as a whole and will allow me to add a chart draw under the bunk/seat.  Raising the whole bunk will also give me a substantial boost in storage space aft of the added second vertical support.  The blue sharpie is where the table will rest in the up position.  There is a sketch of how it will be supported in the upper left corner.  I was also originally thinking of having it open up, but then realized that to get to whatever is stored in the table/box, I would have to pull the cushions off, then lift the lid while likely holding the cushion out of the way with one hand.  This didn't seem really practical, so I thought instead to add a side opening draw so that in the down position, the draw is still accessible without moving anything. 

I have to say thanks for this post.  Thanks to my room mate Sarah for having sharpies!!!!!!!!  Thanks to Matt for turning me on to The Tiny House Blog, which has given me a few ideas!!

More importantly, if you have any ideas about this project, please feel free to leave comments and suggestions about how it might be better accomplished or designed!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment