Saturday, December 22, 2012

Happy Holidays!

I wish you all a safe and happy holiday season!  May your time with friends and family be merry and may you want for nothing!

 Here is a quick update before I go to work this morning from Monday's project.  As you know, I removed the bulkhead, but there was a trim piece on the junk bulkhead that I wanted to save.  It is a nice piece of mahogany and a single piece of wood.  It would be quite time consuming to reproduce, and the wood alone would cost a fortune.  So instead, I decided it was worth the time to try to salvage the piece.  It was nailed into place with little brad type nails which were flush.  To get them out, I had to chisel some wood out of the way so that I could get a pair of vice grips in there to pull the brads out.  I think the job was successful.  When I rebuild, I will be reconstructing the bulkhead with screws instead of nails so that if I (or the next owner) has to do this job again, it will be much easier to deconstruct.

I also had a good time screwing around with the Macro setting on my little point and shoot camera, and all of these photos were taken with the macro setting on.  Below are some photos of the rotten bulkhead in close.



1 comment: